Once upon a time, there was a thought in my mind –isn’t the photography hobby is costly without adding flying gadgets to the equation? Again, if I use a drone for aerial photography, wouldn’t it be very risky? But the circumstance is quite the opposite now. By the drastic development in the drone or UAV sector, the high flying camera attached with drones helps us to have a marvelous view which is quite unimaginable before a few years ago. So, to capture a spellbinding picture of a landscapeby using a drone, you need to know how to do drone photography.
This article will enrich you with the knowledge of practical considerations, which drone is suitable for photography, some rulesand regulations about using the drones for photography, etc.
Why Do We Need Drones
Drones are not only revolutionary but also gives us thrill. I wanted to have a trip to Europe, and my ultimate intention was to have a view of the top of all the museums and courts. I was eager to have an album of these types of photographs. So, without a drone, it could not be possible. So, all my misconception about drone was gone.
So, using a drone is neither complicated nor that expensive. And the price is gradually decreasing day by day, which makes easy for the people to buy a drone. Again, for this reason, people can have it for a mischievous intention. So we need to follow the regulations. When purchasing a drone,we need to keep some things in mind.
Choosing a drone according to your need
In general, there are two types of drone. One who has a built-in camera and the picture quality of this type of drone is not up to the mark. The size of this drone is large. And another one is a drone where we can attach a camera.
The drones for indoor use are like toys, and you can use drones for professional purpose, which are large, carbon-fibre drones with retractable legs and longer flight times.
Which are the accessories or the equipment you need
- There are various types of gimbals. Before buying a gimbal, consider the weight it have to lift and the size of the camera.
- You will need camera so you can choose tiny camera, dedicated camera, GoPro camera, DSLR, compact and mirrorless camera.
- To manipulate the drone, you need to have a transmitter.
- If you want to see the view of what you are capturing, you can have FPV goggles or screen.
- To keep the drone in the air for a longer time, you can have add-ons: spare batteries, a charger, extra propeller blades, tools for preserving drones, carry bags.
How to fly a drone before attaching a camera
Go through the instruction manual carefully: The First step for getting a good flight of your drone is to read the manual carefully. It will assist us in drone photography. Reading the instruction will provide all of the answers to your inquiries. Then,you will not be wasting time in tinkering with it and will rendermore time improving your shots.
Test the flying with your toy drone: Isn’t it a foolish work to fly your expensive drone with hooking your expensive camera up to it and then losing control and watching it plummet to the ground? Don’t do it. First, try all the exercises with your ‘toy’ drone, then transfer your knowledge and experience to a larger drone. The practices are:
- Take off, hover and land: This is the basic practice of your flying drone.Remember to increase the throttle carefully until the drone lifts off the ground.
- Lateral movement: Now improve your skills. Now try moving the drone side to side, and forward and backward.
- Square and circle: Now, for the test of your previous two practices, you can go with these two patterns. And fixed a place for this exercise.
- Rotation: To gain a good amount of control and precision, try rotation now.
- Landing: It is as like as plane landing which is fun and challenging as well.
What are the pre-flight checklist, drone settings and other considerations
- The area where are you flying is an important pre-flight consideration. You need the permission of the authority of that territory. It will be better if the place is barren and free of obstacles.
- Weather is an issue.
- Are the camera, transmitter, drone, all other add-ons prepared for the flight?- Keep these too in mind.
- Get a good idea on- arming and disarming, transmitter modes, flight modes.
- Check the propellers if they are tight enough and can move freely.
- At the time of taking off, hover at 15ft for 15 seconds to figure out the drone’s behavior.
- Examine the resolution of the camera, the brightness of the camera, the frame rate, shutter speed, ISO before clicking.
- The motor and the batteries of the remote control needs to be fit for photography.
The overall guides and techniques on drone photography
You had planned for travelling to a fantastic place and getting your camera up in the sky and click absurd pictures. Doesn’t all the hard work go astray? So, there is an art of capturing scenic beauties. Here goes-
- To check the framing and composition, FPV or First Person View is a good way.
- While concentrating on drone, don’t forget the rules of photography such as the rules of thirds, leading lines, golden ratio.
- The interesting composition of colors, shapes, patterns should be used for the source of mind-blowing aerial photos.
- The spinning propellers can cause vibration. So, if you use the optical zoom function of your camera, the picture will come out blurry for both propellers and zooming. So, watch out the blades.
- If the sun is low, shoot then. It will enhance the depth of the picture.
- Keep your drone under 100 feet to capture better shot.
- Automatic mode will be suitable for drone photography.
- Go easy with the drone, and fly slow and stable.
- Maintain the light effects of your picture.
Some federal rules and regulations
Now a days it is so easy to have this UAV aircraft, so there are some important rules on how, where, and who can pilot it. By maintaining all of these rules, we can avoid undesirable circumstances.
- Register your drone to get a unique identification.
- Avoid the no-fly zones.
- Don’t fly within three miles of an airport or a landing slope.
- Keep the drones away from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration(NOAA) zones.
- The weight of the UAVsbetween 0.55 and 55 Ibs. require FAA( Federal Aviation Administration) registration.
To have smooth photography with drone, you need to go through all the advices, precautions, tips on how to do drone photography. The onus is on you to make sure that enjoying your hobby by keeping all of the factors in mind. I am assuring that you are going to enjoy this.