Are you worried that your kid could break any expensive piece of dinner set or cup set of your cabinet? Children do not have a sense of what is right and what is wrong. They just follow what elders do. And, this imitating nature could lead to disaster when they want to grab the things that you won’t allow them to touch. So, when you’re away for a few moments, they begin searching these precious objects in your cabinets.
To stop your kids, you should use baby proof locks on the doors of these cabinets. Thinking about lock installation hassle? Relax! Here, I will shed light on how to install baby proof cabinet locks. Therefore, keep reading…
How To Install Baby Proof Cabinet Locks: Simply Described
There are 4 popular types of cabinet locks available in the marketplace. They are baby proof magnetic cabinet locks, cabinet latch locks, U-shaped baby safety locks, and safety strap locks. Among these fantastic locks, magnetic cabinet locks are modern and more durable. But, you need to install them carefully to get the maximum performance.
There are 2 main types of cabinet door construction. They are- Overlay and inset. Let’s see the installation process of magnetic locks in both types of cabinet doors.
Overlay Cabinet Door’s Baby Proof Locks Installation
Overlay types of doors are set on top of the face frame. As magnetic lock comes with drilled holes on them to attach with the screws, you can easily set the lock with a screwdriver. But, while installing a lock by drilling holes, your beautiful cabinet can be damaged or may get some scratch.
To solve this problem, you can use 3m double-sided adhesive with lock and lock catcher. Let’s see who to place the lock.
- At first, take a wet cloth or tissue and wipe the cabinet door’s surface where you are going to put the lock. Also, clean the area where the lock catcher will stay. Cleaning is essential because it helps the adhesive to stick firmly. Otherwise, dirt and debris will make the glue unstable.
- After cleaning both areas, take the lock catcher and remove the cover of the adhesive. Now, with the 3m adhesive pointing upward and triangle-shaped nose of the catcher face out towards you, place the catcher on the edge of the cabinet face frame. Hold and press it on the position for 15-20 seconds to let the glue attach solidly.
- Now, take the cradle that comes with the lock and add it to the catcher. Make sure the cradle’s flat side is facing outward. After that, take the lock and remove the adhesive’s covering from the lock. Quickly push the lock into the cradle pointing the latch up and keeping the lock into the locked position.
- Finally, close the cabinet’s door, and your lock will immediately fix on the door. Remove the cradle after keeping the door closed for 10-20 seconds. Congratulations! You have successfully placed the lock. Now use the magnet key to test whether everything is fine.
Inset Cabinet Door’s Baby Proof Locks Installation
An inset cabinet is a cabinet where the door and door frame are placed inside the face frame. These types of cabinet doors have a slightly different kind of installation process then overlay doors. Here, you need to use the roller that also comes with the lock package.
- First of all, take the cradle and the roller. Carefully insert the roller into the cradle through the flat side of the cradle. Don’t worry! There is a slot in the cradle to hold the roller firmly. Make sure the number printed face of the roller is facing up.
- Now, put the cradle on the top edge of the cabinet’s door to measure the door’s thickness. Write the measurement on a piece of paper.
- At this point, insert the lock catcher into the cradle while the roller is also attached to the cradle. The adhesive part of the catcher should face upward.
- Take out the 3m adhesive’s cover from the catcher and fix it into the upper side of the cabinet’s face frame according to the measurement that you have written earlier. For instance- if the cabinet’s door is 2 cm thick, you have to place the catcher 2 cm inside.
- Hold the catcher in that position for 10-15 seconds before taking out the roller and cradle. Detach the roller from the cradle and attach the cradle to the again. After that, remove the adhesive’s cover of the lock and insert it into the cradle. Shut the cabinet’s door and open it after 20 seconds using the magnetic key.
That’s how to place a baby proof cabinet lock into an inset cabinet door.
- Consider the position of the door bumper while determining the lock’s depth.
- Don’t place the magnetic lock near any nail or metal fittings of the door.
- If the magnetic key is not opening the lock, then flip the key and try with another side of the key.
- If the cabinet’s door is thick enough and your magnetic key can’t open the lock, then you should combine two magnetic keys to open the lock.
- Secure the lock and the lock catcher in their position firmly with screw if you aren’t satisfied with the firmness of the glue or the adhesive.
To Wrap Up
It is not safe for your little ones to have access to dangerous tools and chemicals. But, it is tough to restrict our kids’ activity and keep them away from these harmful things. It becomes more challenging when they start to look for things that we keep inside our cabinets.
Thankfully, childproof locks will help you protect your babies and expensive objects by keeping the cabinet doors sealed. Therefore, learn how to install baby proof cabinet locks and put an end to your miseries.